The Top Five Electrical Hazards In The Home

by Editor on May 22, 2013

Holiday fire safety - Overloaded outlet

Learning about health and safety has never been as important – especially in the home. Home owners are slowly starting to learn that the home can withhold many dangers, putting you and your family at risk.

One of the most common causes of injury in the home is from electrical appliances. So homeowners can be more aware of the dangers electrical devices can impose on people, here is a list of the top 5 electrical hazards in the home:

Plug Overload

The first unrecognised electrical danger in the home is from plug sockets being overloaded.

Whether you are using a socket, an extension plug or an extension lead, you should be wary about overloading it.

Overloading a plug socket or extension lead can happen very easily, in a short amount of time you can go from having one device plugged in, to another 4-5.

The more appliances that you have plugged in, the more danger you are in. Once you have finished with an appliance, you should unplug it immediately. Not only will you be reducing the chances of an accident happening, but you will even be able to save yourself some money by reducing your energy use.

Some indications of an overloaded plug socket being hazardous is burning smells, fuses blowing or even slight crackling noises. If you do experience any of this, you should switch the electricity off at the mains and avoid coming into contact with any electricity until the problem is located.

DIY Work

We all love a spot of DIY in the home, but make sure you do it safely.

Whether you are hanging a picture or completing a more technical job, you should always be wary about drilling holes into a wall.

There are many electrical cables and connections hidden behind walls, meaning if you are drilling into a spot you are unaware of, there is a risk that you may drill into an electrical cable.

If you do drill into a live cable, then there is a risk of electric shocks, burns and even a fire.

Spotting cables behind a wall is fairly easy; simply use a cable and metal detector to discover where exactly your wires and cables are hidden.

Mechanical Work comes Last

How many times have you been vacuuming in the past and you have had to stop because of a blocked tube?

If you are anything like me, then it probably happens quite a lot.

You should never complete any mechanical jobs when the vacuum clear is still plugged in and switched on. If you do complete a job with the vacuum still plugged in then you are at risk from electric shocks, burns and even trapped limbs if the device comes back on.

Water and Electric should NEVER Mix

When water and electricity mix, the results can be deadly and kill instantly.

Homeowners should be extra careful in the kitchen and bathroom where electricity and water both work close together.

To lower the risk of accidents in these rooms, it is against the law to install plug sockets into the bathroom.

Light switches should either be installed outside the bathroom or there should be a pull cord made available in the bathroom. A light switch is extremely dangerous as water can easily slip in; meaning homeowners would be at risk of electric shocks and fires.

Electrical Standards

Some items in the home may have been in your family for years, but if one of these items is an electrical appliance – it is advised that you refrain from using them and get them serviced as soon as possible.

The longer an electrical device is used – there is a higher chance of a fault occurring in the system.

All electrical items should be serviced on a regular basis to ensure that it meets CE Marking Requirements.

About the Author

Jonathon knows how important it is to ensure that all electrical appliances have been CE Marked in the home to reduce the risk of an accident happening.

photo by: State Farm

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post:

Next post: