It is Spring! Winter is fading away and spring green is becoming part of the world’s new color scheme. Everything is alive with new growth. Do you find yourself wanting to infuse your living spaces with new life too?
Here are five quick and easy ways to give a room a facelift for the new season…
1. Outlet and light switch covers don’t have to remain “blah” on your walls. Let them become mini reflections of your personality. Go to your local home improvement store and purchase artwork covers. If you don’t find any you like, buy colored porcelain ones to compliment the colors in that room. Plate covers are very easy to unscrew and replace. They can add beauty to a room without taking up any additional space.
2. Do you have a collection of large items that you would love to show off, but don’t really have the room for a unit to display them? Use the tops of book cases and cabinets as shelves. Watch the weight of the objects though, so they aren’t too heavy for the “new shelf racks.” You will probably have to do some rearranging, so they can be seen from the low angles. By setting different sizes of blocks of wood underneath the items, you should be able to get them high enough to be easily seen.
3. Recycle your beautiful mugs, cups, or bowls that have sentimental value, but don’t go with the rest of your dishes. Use them as plant containers. Give them new life and visibility. Depending on what you are planting, you can even use those broken handle mugs. Paint the sharp edges with clear nail polish to avoid cuts.
4. Are papers and magazines cluttering up spaces? Use small baskets to help organize. This is a great idea for collecting the mail until you get a chance to open it.
5. Give your furniture new life too. Replace all the knobs and handles. If you decide to go modern furniture shopping, make sure to buy hardware that is the same size, so that you don’t have to drill additional holes.
Look around the room. Do you see how much difference those five little changes made? Why stop there? Remodeling your house doesn’t have to be expensive. You can probably see more ways to infuse new life into your home.
Here’s an extra tip for bringing Spring inside – the next time you are out shopping, buy some colorful cut flowers. When you get home, put them in a vase and place them in the kitchen cabinets or on the dining room table. Now you have some Spring inside too. Enjoy this season – It only comes once a year!