Many homes are increasingly susceptible to mold growth. Mold develops primarily in damp, humid, and moist areas of your home such as the bathrooms or the basement. If you believe you may have a mold problem, it is best to seek professional help and get a mold inspection before the problem worsens. Here are 5 signs that mold may be a problem in your home and that you should get an inspection.
- Check the moist areas of your home thoroughly. The first way to tell if you have mold is if you see it forming. Mold can take on different forms and colors. Some mold may even look like dirt, so often people ignore it at first and wait to clean it up until it is too late. Mold can also look white or like thread. Some mold is black, gray-black, white, or even gray-green.
- Even if you cannot see mold, it still may still be there. Be aware of any strong odors that linger in your home no matter how often you clean. The odors such as a musty or earthy smell could indicate a potential mold issue in your home. Also look for leaks in your home. A roof or pipe that leaks could easily harbor mold so these issues should be fixed as soon as possible. Dry up wet spots within 1 to 2 days to prevent mold-breeding areas.
- Understand how serious the problem is. If mold is only present in a small area that is controlled, you can likely remove it yourself. A small area is considered mold growth that is no bigger than ten square feet. To clean, first cover yourself properly with gloves and a make and use a mold cleaner. If you ignore small mold issues, they can become larger issues. If you clean mold but it still keeps coming back, you will need to hire a professional.
- If you have a large mold problem in your home you will absolutely need to hire a professional to handle the situation properly and effectively. You should not try to clean this yourself. A professional can help you to clean the mold as well as find out where the source of the moisture is coming from so the mold production can be stopped and prevented in the future.
- Another clue that you may have a serious mold issue in your home is if your family members are ill for no apparent reason. Mold growth can irritate respiratory problems or even asthma, so if these symptoms are suddenly worsening, mold could be the culprit. Mold can also cause nasal and sinus congestions, coughs, difficulties breathing, irritation of the skin or eyes and more. Mold can cause some serious health problems, so just to be cautious, it is wise to hire a professional to do a mold inspection so that you know if that is or is not the problem.
All of theses issues may be signs that you need to get a mold inspection in your home. If you can clean up mold before it becomes a serious issue, that’s great. However, having an inspection can help find the source of mold to prevent future growths and can also provide you with piece of mind to keep your home and your family safe.