Plumbing fixtures often fail to get much attention. Homeowners rarely notice them unless they are switching them out for style purposes or repairs. However, swapping your current plumbing fixtures for high efficiency models can actually result in many benefits. Here are 5 benefits of switching to high efficiency plumbing fixtures in your home.
- You can help conserve water use. Even though many people are trying to go “green” by using recyclable bags or buying local organic produce, water is frequently wasted in this country and the issue is often overlooked. It is important that you are aware of your personal water use so that you can help to preserve your community’s essential supplies of water. If every home in the United States installed energy efficient plumbing fixtures, over 3 trillion gallons of water could be save every single year. High efficiency options also help to conserve electricity and can help to reduce green house gas emissions, which truly benefits the environment and our overall carbon footprint.
- Saving water can also help to save you money. If all households had energy efficient plumbing fixtures, the U.S. could save almost 20 billion dollars each year on water expenses. In addition, you can see these savings on your own personal expenses each month on your energy bills as well as your water bills. In addition you can save money in other ways. Many utility companies and even the government will offer rebates, tax cuts as well as other incentives to encourage homeowners to make “green” choices in their households.
- High efficiency water saving toilets can provide you and your home with various benefits. They use the minimal amount of water necessary to work efficiently. You can go a step further and purchase a dual-flush toilet. These actually have two options so that you can use a low-flush option for liquids and a high-flush button for solid waste. These have been common in places like Europe for years now and Americans are starting to catch on. Another choice available to consumers is a composting toilet, which actually uses very little or even no water at all in order to flush waste.
- Replacing showerheads with energy efficient models may actually be one of the most substantial ways to reduce water use and waste. Showering uses about 20 percent of a home’s water use every month, so this is where a large chunk of your water bill comes from. You can actually reduce water use in the shower by more than half with an energy efficient showerhead by purchasing an ultra-low-flow option. Contemporary models actually provide you with a steady stream of water, so you don’t have to worry about not having enough water streaming to rinse shampoo from your hair!
- Finally, a high efficiency faucet is another great fixture to install. These can be installed in the kitchen as well as bathrooms and other areas of your home with a sink. These plumbing fixtures save water because their flow rate is at or below the standard set by the EPA. If you don’t want to replace your faucets you have other options. You can also attach aerators or flow restrictors to your current faucet for similar water and energy saving results.
Installing new fixtures such as high efficiency faucets and shower heads can result in numerous benefits. You will help the environment and your community by reducing water waste. You will also reduce your carbon footprint. You can additionally save a significant amount of money each month on water and energy bills and you can also be eligible for rebates or tax cuts. These fixtures not only help your wallet and the environment, but they are also attractive in your home and still work efficiently.